1. The Class-1 Historic Site, Jinguangfu Residence
Hans immigrated into Taiwan in Qing Dynasty. In order to actively exploit the land, many reclamation businesses are jointly engaged in the land exploitation and set up passes (toll-gate, gun tank) to prevent the intrusion of aboriginals. At that time, in order to reclaim the Beipu district, the reclamation name of Jinguangfu and Jinguangfu Residence were established in 1835 with supervision of government and raised money of Fujian people and Cantonese as the headquarter for reclaiming the land and preventing the intrusion of aboriginals as well as the Administration Center for recruiting reclamation renter and collecting the rentals.
The word “Jin” in the Jinguangfu business has the auspicious meaning of more gold and benefits, word “Guang” means the Hakka in Guangdong, and word “Fu” represents the South Fuchien people in Fujian. Zhong Bangzheng of Fujian origin takes charge of the administrative affairs and front-line work of reclamation is in the charge of Jiang Xiuluan of Cantonese origin. The cooperation of Jiang and Zhou not only creates great exploit of Jinguangfu business, but also initiates the vogue and sets up the model of nationality amalgamation.
Such building is the only survived residence in Taiwan, which possess the particularity that the ancestors of Fujian and Hakka people cooperate with each other to reclaim the land and was thus designated as the Class-1 historic site by Ministry of Home Affairs in 1983.
Jinguangfu Residence has simple architectural framework, without excessive decoration. Its thick cob wall, door board and embrasure hidden in the corner all exhibit the feature of recovery. In the whole style, the stone-laying base, white wall and black tile fully show the characteristics of traditional Hakka architecture.
The exquisite building named Tianshui Hall beside the Jinguangfu Residence is the house of Jiang Xiuluan, the reclamation leader of Jinguangfu business. The Tianshui Hall has door decoration and duplicate bounding wall, which are full of recovery features. The building with beautiful lines and graceful style can be called the typical architecture of Hakka civil residence in Hsinchu.
2. County-designated Historic Site, Beipu Citian Temple
Beipu Citian Temple is located at the end of Beipu Street, backing on the Xiuluan Mountain and with elegant views, which is the belief center of Beipu and mainly offers sacrifices to Kwan-yin. This temple may be built after 1938. It is said that the worshiped Kwan-yin was introduced from the mainland by reclamation leader Jiang Xiuluan of Cantonese origin and carried into Beipu when beginning the reclamation to be worshiped in a small temple. Citian Temple was rebuilt to a wooden temple in 1846 and completed in 1848 when the Citian Templete had a considerable scale and became the belief center of Beipu.
In addition to mainly worshiping Kwan-yin, Citian Temple also offer sacrifices to gods such as Tien Shang Shen Mu-Ma Tsu and meritorious persons of Beipu reclamation in the east wing-room. Because this temple offers sacrifices to many gods, it weakens the borderline of origin in the reclaiming people and strengthens the central status of Beipei.
Due to the characteristics in the history, nationality belief and local life and culture as well as the splendid architectural scale and craftwork, the Citian Temple was designated as the Class-3 historic site of Taiwan-Fuchien Area by Ministry of Home Affairs in 1985.
Because the Citian Temple backs on the Xiuluan Mountain and has graceful environment, the early residents lived around Citian Temple. The plazas in front of and behind the Citian Temple have all become the most important public open space in Beipu. Its integrated environment and architectural configuration completely take on the venation of the development of Taiwanese early settlement, which is cross-sectional and worthy of preservation.
The Citian Temple is the courtyard-style temple architecture with two entries, two corridors and two wing-rooms, whose wooden framework of Citian Temple preserves the traditional architectural style in the late Qing ages major materials derives from the local camphor tree, which has a precise and stately structure and is the god-given work.
Regarding the architectural decoration, the inside sophisticated carpenter work, although not outstanding in the fine carves, is still distinctive. In the aspect of stone carving, the stone-carved dragon pillar on the eave corridor of front palace adopts the design of ascending dragon, which is the rare practice in the Taiwanese temples; in addition, the two groups of Twenty-Four Stories of Filial Piety inside the Temple exhibit the fluent carving workmanship and lingering charm, which is also rare in the temples across Taiwan. Besides, the works such as colored drawings, clay sculpture and Koji pottery all show the workmanship and deserve the careful visit.
Citian Temple is the substantial representation for the integration of folk belief and community activity in Beipu District. On annual July 14th of Chinese traditional calendar, the Ghost Festival shall be organized in turn by each village with a round of six years, which is the largest-scale festival in Beipu District.
3. County-designated Historic Site: Beipu Chiang-A-Xin House
Chiang-A-Xin was born in 1901, ever acting as the chairmen of Zhudong Tea Company. After the Taiwan Recovery, he founded the Yung Kwang Co., LTD engaged in the export of black tea, which is the Beipu merchant prince building up from the tea. He afterwards assumed the office of interim councilman of Taiwan Provincial Parliament.
Chiang-A-Xin House was built in 1946 and completed in 1949 when the Chiang’s business stood at the summit. The luxurious house was so constructed for the accommodation of the foreign guests and inhabitation. The construction of Chiang-A-Xin House was designed by the local architect Peng Yuli in Zhudong, adopting the foreign style and paying special attention to the materials and workmanship. Due to its particular form, it is called “Chiang-A-Xin Modern House”.
Chiang-A-Xin House is a residence mainly decorated with modern style and log. The House stands for two floors in a great manner, the base of front elevation uses the massive stones, giving the sense of steadiness, the upper metope is made of concrete imitate stones and the peristome shows the workmanship of exquisite washed pebbles, shaping the flower decoration of modern architecture, which represent the construction technique in the Japanese Government Period and cultural fashion of modern and traditional style combination.
The inner design is derived from the balcony colonial style and the indoor decoration is very exquisite, especially the superior carpenter works and materials of each part. What’s interesting, the indoor dimensions of each part accord with the lucky dimension of traditional door meter. Such geomantic considerations and the combination of modern style create the lively and fluent space, which prove the uncommon artful design of the architect.
Currently, the historic site has been rented to the Jinguangfu Culture and Education Fund and latter one repaired the building in 1995 and restored its original appearance, making the amazing scene of this modern house reappear in front of the public. The museum preserves and exhibits many artworks and it is truly a distinctive place that you can miss if you come to Beipu.
4. County-designated Historic Site: Beipu Chiang’s Ancestral Temple
Chiang Family is a flourishing family in Beipu, but had no common ancestral temple. It only set up organizations such as Shi-Liang-Gong Hall. Until 1921, people including Chiang Ruichang and Chiang Zhixiang advocated to construct the ancestral temple and raise money to employ the famous craftsman to implement the construction. The ancestral temple was completed in 1924.
Chiang’s Ancestral Temple is located in the southern side of Beipu block. Because Chiang Family was the largest family in Beipu at that time, it employed the famous craftsmen to construct the ancestral temple. Chiang’s Ancestral Temple was designed by the Xu Qing, the senior apprentice of well-know craftsman Lin Jinwan, to be a scale of two halls, two corridors and two wing-rooms. The central palace places the memorial tablets of Chiang’s past ancestors, which is an open hall; the side palace is between the wing-rooms on the both sides; two corridors and wing-rooms are connected by the cross-water corridor, making the interior shape into a broad sacrifice space and typical pattern. The colored drawings, stone carvings and wood carvings in the Temple are very sophisticated. This Temple is praised as one of the four-largest ancestral temples in Taiwan because of its uncommon craftsmanship, which possesses the great artistic value.
Chiang’s Ancestral Temple can be called as the architectural treasure of Hsinchu County and the craftsmen taking charge of the construction are the superior selection. The colored drawings are mainly painted by the father Qiu Yupo and Qiu Zhengbang who are the famous craftsmen in Dapu, Guangdong. The golden colored drawing is even unique, which is the only survived work of Qiu Yupo in Taiwan; the wood carvings are presided by Xu Qing and Xu Chun. Especially for the works made out by both Masters, the carving workmanship is distinctive and the characters are vivid and amazing; the stone carvings managed by Master Xin-A-Jiu are also very exquisite.
Chiang’s Ancestral Temple was designated as the County Historic Site due to its historic meaning and architectural craftsmanship with high artistic value.
5. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Rewarding Loyalty Pavillion
Hsinpu Rewarding Loyalty Pavillion is commonly call Yimin Temple, mainly sacrificing the Lord of Righteous, which is the religious center of Hakka nationality in Taozhumiao District.
In 1786 (51st year of Qinglong reign), the rebellion of Lin Shuangwen broke out. The fellows of Heaven and Earth Society captured Zhuqian District. The local esquire Lin Xiankun and Liu Chauzhen led the nearby villager recaptured Zhuqian city and marched southwards to attack Lin Shuangwen from both sides with Qing Army. The rebellion was suppressed in 1788. During the war, Lin Xiankun and Liu Chaozhen witnessed the disastrous deaths and injuries, and thus employed workers to collect the remains and bury them here. In 1789, they raised money to build the temple in front of the tomb to ease the soul the deceased persons. Since the Qing Gaozhong wrote in person and granted the “Rewarding Loyalty”, it is so named as “Rewarding Loyalty Pavillion”.
The Yimin Temple holds the sacrifice ceremony annually since 1835 (15th year of Daoguang) and the circle of sacrifice is expanded accordingly. In 1975, the 15 combined villages were founded and organize in turn the sacrifice ceremony on annual July 20th of Chinese traditional calendar, which is the most important festival in this County.
Yimin Temple has experienced several times of construction and expansion since it was built in Qianlong Reign, and thus shaped into the current majestic temple views and scale. In recent years, since the leakage of partial house roofing affected the safety of historic site, the county government applied for outlay to the central government and made repairs cooperated with the county’s own fund. The repair project was designed and supervised by the Hanguang Architects and contracted by Guangli Construction Co., LTD. It was contracted for construction in November 1993 and completed in December 1994, with a total project expenses of over NT$14 million.
6. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Upper Fangliao Liu’s Residence
In 1755, Madame Zhan, the wife of Liu Ruige-the ancestor of Liu Family, went across the sea and moved to Taiwan from Raoping County, Guangdong Province with her sons. The eldest son Liu Yan went to Liaofang to start his business and built a quadrate-yard ancestral hall in 1781. Because it is divided into front and back hall, it is also named as “Double-Hall House”.
In 1919, Liu’s Residence was rebuilt. The offspring of Liu family, Liu Fuqing, presided over the project. Three wing-rooms were added. The project took ten years and formed the plane pattern of “Two Halls and Six Wing-rooms”, with a total number of 99 rooms. The magnificent scale shows the prosperity of Liu’s family population.
The quadrate yard in the central Liu’s Residence is the space of ancestral temple, the antechamber is the hall and the back-chamber is the space of sacrifice and a courtyard is placed in the center with the cloister on the both sides, which promotes the ceremonial nature of the main hall. The wing-rooms beside the main hall are the basic living space. The configuration of Liu’s Residence that combines the ternate yard and quadrate yard satisfies the requirements of privacy and recovery. Such architectural environment that offspring live around the ancestral temple virtually strengthen and succeed the family concepts, which is one of the features in the Hakka architecture.
Hsinpu Upper Fangliao Liu’s Residence was damaged in the 9·21 Earthquake after it was designated as historic site in 1985. Hsinchu County Government restored it in June, 2001 and completed the project for use in July, 2003.
With a comprehensive view to the architectural layout, structure, material and decoration of Liu’s Residence, it represents the Taiwanese traditional historical, humanistic and ethical culture and takes on the beauty of succession of ancient architectural art, which deserves our careful appreciation.
7. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Liu’s Ancestral Temple
Hsinpu Liu’s Ancestral Temple, commonly called Liu’s Ancestral Temple, was advocated to be built by Liu Shihe, Liu Chaoyuan and Liu Tingzhang in 3rd year of Tongzhi Resign (1864) so as to sacrifice the common primogenitor of Liu Family-Liu Rong (grandfather of Han Gaozu Liu Bang) and the past ancestors. The construction of Liu’s Ancestral Temple reflects that the Hakka immigrants were united to be a power community organization in the name of ancestor through the geographic connection of same clan and same origin.
Liu’s Ancestral Temple has the reputation of “more tablets, more coattails and more honors”. The tablets of “Liu’s Ancestral Temple”, “Top Scholar” and “En Yuan” hanging on the doorhead of the main hall are full of historic value. The main body of the ancestral temple has the coattail ridge on the five bays and the wing-rooms on the both sides and the corridor roofs have coattail ridges. That’s the origin of more coattails. Meanwhile, the talents with official ranks in Liu Family needn’t be mentioned.
Liu’s Ancestral Temple was designated to the Class-3 historic Site of Taiwan-Fuchien Area by Ministry of Home Affairs in 1985 due to its magnificence and elegancy, interlaced coattails, countless tablets and numerous honor brands as well as the architectural craftsmanship of cultural and artistic value.
8. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Pan’s Residence
The creator of Pan’s Residence is Pan Shuxian, who came to Taiwan in the 51st year of Qianlong Resign (1786), lived in Chungli and then left for Hsiupu to do business of partnership with friends. After Pan Shuxian got success in his business, he purchased the land to build residence on the northern side of Pugu, Fengshanxi. The residence was primarily made of clay bricks and became the embryo of Hsinpu Pan’s Residence. In the 11th year of Xianfeng (1861), Pan Qingquan and Pan Chengquan, the grandsons of Pan Shuxian, rebuilt the house on the existing basis and thus formed the current scale.
It is said that Pan’s Residence is located in the crabhole. The numerous talents arising out of Pan Family, local important post the offspring placed and the architectural style are all associated with the geomantic stories. Hsinpu Pan’s Residence is a building with four wing-rooms. There is a bounding wall between the main body and the wing-rooms. A wall gate stands in the center. The exterior wing-room stands out for a bay compared to the interior wing-room. Another rounding wall is added between the exterior wing-rooms. All of them shape into a house with outside and inside courtyard as well as outside Hecheng, like a crab. What’s special is that the roof of main body doesn’t use the coattail and the roof is painted in blue so as to symbolize the ceaseless vitality of crabhole.
The wall of Pan’s Residence mainly used the cobble base and Dou Zil-laying wall. The peristome on the outside bounding wall has changes of different brick laying, which vitalized the brick wall; the wall gate on the inside bounding wall represents the connation of door decoration, which is a feature of this historic site. Entering into the Pan’s Residence, you can feel the appropriate dimensions and amiable and pleasant climate. The clay sculptures on the Shuichedu exhibit the fragmentary beauty under the score of time, but not hide their elegance. In general, the strong framework, precise space structure and the sense of space with clear level make the house distinctive
9. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Zhang’s Ancestral Temple
Zhang’s Ancestral Temple, commonly called Zhang’s family temple, was built by Zhang Yunlong in 1868. The tow-floor and two-hall architectural pattern can be called magnificent at that time. It is a pity that it was burned down by the Japanese Army in 1895. Afterwards, Zhang Xiude rebuilt it in 1907, changing it into the current one-hall and two-wingrooms appearance.
Zhang’s Ancestral Temple mainly sacrifices the ancestors of great six branches under Zhang Linzhi, which is a typical ancestral temple that sacrifices the ancestors coming to Taiwan and witnesses the development history of local family. Due to its value and characteristics, it was designated as the County Historic Site in 2004.
The main body of ancestral temple has five bays, in which the broad entrance corridor is set in the front with a pyramid roof and entrance of the main hall has three shuts and six doors, graceful and solemn, with a tablet of “Zhang’s Ancestral Temple” hanging on the doorhead. The temple sacrifices the Zhang’s ancestors, with a fine-carved dragon and tiger flowery cover in front of the shrine and tablets of “Bravery and Loyalty” and “Wood-root and Water-source” hanging above; The figure of Zhang Yunlong hangs on the left side of the hall, which is the works of Guangxu Resign and praise the feats in the Zhang Yunlong’s life. The left and right side bays and wing-rooms of the main hall is the living space of offspring, all of which has open door and is not interconnected, which is the rare practice.
Zhang’s Ancestral Temple is similar with the Liu’s Ancestral Temple in the light of architecture. In addition to the double coattails on the main body, the drooping ridge in front of the main body also has coattails and the central part of the wing-rooms have coattails, which is characteristic. The walls of Zhang’s Ancestral Temple is primarily the Dou Zih-laying metope, the wing-rooms of the main body all have Shuichedu and the Du has exquisite clay sculpture decoration, all of which are the features of this historic site.
10. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Chen’s Ancestral Temple
In 1868, Chen Chaogang advocated to build the Chen’s Ancestral Temple so as to sacrifice the past ancestors of Chen Family. The project was completed in 1871. It is a pity that the temple was ruined in the war. Chen Chaogang then rebuilt it in 1899, purchased the land, contributed his incomings to the fund of permanent sacrifice by the offspring, and registered it as the Chen’s Ancestral Temple of Worship Guild.
Hsinchu Chen’s Ancestral Temple is also called Civilian Chen’s Ancestral Temple. At that time, many unmarried and unemployed men temporarily put the land under the name of Chen Chaogang in order to avoid the miscellaneous taxes of Qing Government. Because they died without offspring, Chen Chaogang also added the memorial tablets for sacrifice and let them share the incense. For the temple doesn’t only sacrifice the Chen’s ancestors, it is call “Civilian Chen’s Ancestral Temple”.
Hsinpu Chen’s Ancestral Temple is the most typical architecture of ancestral temple in Hsinpu District, with two halls, two wing-rooms and a pillow room. The house is wide for five bays, the central three bays in the antechamber are the entrance corridors, on both sides of the central courtyard is the wing-rooms of three bays and behind the main hall is the pillow room, which look like a pattern of three halls and two wing-rooms and ㄇ-shaped single-side open traverse on the part of pillow room. This is a rare pattern.
The architecture of Chen’s Ancestral Temple is distinctive. The central three bays of antechamber are the entrance corridors, the metope on the both sides is the exquisite coin-shaped brick laying. Entering into the house, there is an open antechamber, with the preserved charm of wooden framework for over a hundred years, which is precious. The left and right parts are the wing rooms, which is also a space for sacrifice. The main hall is to sacrifice the Chen’s ancestors, whose towering architectural space presents the solemn climate. The space and decoration in the manner of open hall take on the air of official.
Generally speaking, Chen’s Ancestral Temple is the typical Hakka architecture, and also possesses the characteristics and value of architectural workmanship such as the wood carving, stone carving and colored drawing. Especially, it is hard-won that the proper maintenance by Chen’s offspring preserves the architectural art and style of a hundred years.
11. County-designated Historic Site: Hsinpu Lin’s Ancestral Temple
The Lin’s Ancestral Temple was built in 1913, initiated by Lin Kongzhao, the offspring of Lin Family living in Zhaomen. At that time, Lin Kongzhao assumed the office of warder of Damaopu District, initiated the fundraising to construct the ancestral temple and went to other places for fundraising. Lin Kongzhao acted as the manager and took charge of the application and preparation of construction. The project was completed for use in 1917.
Lin’s Ancestral Temple mainly sacrifices the primogenitor of Lin Family, Bigan, and the past ancestors of Lin Family, as well as the longevity niches of Ma Tsu, Lord of Righteous and meritorious persons in raising money to construct the ancestral temple.
The Lin’s Ancestral Temple is a temple with a hall and two wing rooms, facing south in the whole orientation and standing in a good environment. The main hall of Lin’s Ancestral Temple is significantly towering, with five bays and broad posture. The main hall is used to sacrifice the ancestors, divided by partition screen, with a shrine placed in it and tablets such as “Filial Ethics” and “Respect Ancestor” hanging above to praise the good ethics of the ancestors. The left and right side bays and wing-rooms of the main body were originally used for the living space of Lin’s offspring, but because the rooms are considerably high, they are divided into two layers and have stairs.
The center between the left and right wing room is the open hall, sacrificing the memorial tablets of Ma Tsu and meritorious persons in building the ancestral temple. The open hall in the right wing room has the stone carvings of “Inscription”, “Praising Piety Stele” and “Shi Yin Chang Hui” composed by Lin Kongzhao, which are the important historical materials of the construction of Lin’s Ancestral Temple.
The whole outer wall of Lin’s Ancestral Temple is constructed with Dou Zih laying, which is very exquisite; the house is towering and broad and the coattail has the graceful radian, which are the masterpiece of Zhu County ancestral temple.
12. County-designated Hsinpu Fan’s Ancestral Temple
The ancestor of Hsinpu Fan Family went across the sea to Taiwan in 1703 and launched his development in Hsinpu Street. The Fan’s Ancestral Temple was built in 1858. Fan Riwang raised the money and prepared for the construction. This project was completed in 1860.
The Fan’s Ancestral Temple mainly sacrifices the Fan’s ancestors under Fan Zhongyan and now is managed by the offspring under the Fan Kunyi Clan of Worship Guild, who organize the spring and autumn fiesta. The ancestral temple is positioned in a quiet environment, backing on the mountain and facing the land. It is a pity that it seems to be enveloped because the surrounding additional construction subsequently.
The Fan’s ancestral temple is constructed into a dragon, with five bays and the central three bays concentrated into the broad entrance corridor. Entering into the steps from the courtyard, there is a five-step height difference and the stairs stretch for three rooms, making the whole architecture look more towering and stately. The central three rooms have entrance corridor, simple and unsophisticated, the center is the gate of ancestral hall and the gate adopts the practice of three shuts and six doors, with a tablet of “Fan’s Ancestral Temple” hanging above to reveal the identity of this ancestral temple.
The main hall is to sacrifice the ancestors, with a size of a single bay, divided into the main hall and shrine room by the wood screen, taking on a solemn climate. The Land God and Dragon King are sacrificed under the shrine, which is a characteristic of Hakka Architecture.
The side bay of main hall was used as the living space of offspring in the early days and later as the storeroom. The Fan’s Ancestral Temple is now used as ancestral temple without people living in it.
Due to the centuries-old architecture of ancestral temple and the early architectural features preserved, the ancestral temple was designated as the County Historical Site in 2005.
13. County-designated Historic Site: Jhubei Caitian Fortunate Land
The Chuchien Society of Taokasi Nationality is distributed in Hsinchu and Xiangshan. In 1733, Chuchien planted the bamboo and became a city. Chuchien Society moved to the old site according to the instruction. During this period, the clansmen of Chuchien Society were granted the land by Qing government due to the feat of assisting Qing government. In the 12th year of Qianlong Resign (1747), a part of clansmen moved to Hsinpu and another part were entrapped in the flood and moved to Hsinshe in the 14th year of Qianlong Resign (1749).
In the 23rd year of Qianlong Resign (1758), Taiwan magistrate granted seven family names, namely, “Qian, Wei, Liao, San, Pan, Li and Jin”. They chose the current site of Hsinshe to build the ancestral temple of seven families, named “Hsinshe Residence”, sacrificing the Land God. In 1760, Qing government granted the imperial tablet of “Conferring Approbation of Righteousness and Bravery”, hanging over the hall.
In 1876, Tumu Liao Anbang and Tongshi Qian Yu presided over the reconstruction. The name of Caitian Fortunate Land arose from the meaning of “Fan from Caitian”; moreover, because it sacrificed Land God, it was named fortunate land. The name of “Caitian Fortunate Land” thereby came into being in the hope that the offspring would not forget the ancestors.
The existing Caitian Fortunate Land is a small temple with single entrance and three bays, not looking like so luxuriant and fine as the common Han’s ancestral temples and without distinctive architectural style. There is a golden horizontal tablet with four words of “Cai Tian Fu Di” hanging on the central doorhead. The white-ash wall and cobble wall base in the temple give an unconstrained and simple impression. The center sacrifices the Land God Fuwen (Lord of Fan) of “Guard of Fanli”. On the right hand are the ancestral memorial tablets of seven families. In the shrine hangs the granted tablet of “Conferring Approbation of Righteousness and Bravery” to protrude the status of this architecture. On the both sides is the space used as the office of Worship Guild.
At ordinary times, the civilians living nearby will go there to burn joss sticks. The annual July 17th of Chinese traditional calendar is the day to sacrifice the ancestors. However, it is a pity that the conventions such as the “invite the gods in mother tongue”, “eat fresh meat” and “walk the land” (walking race) have lost, and only this historic site is left as the proof of aboriginal history.
14. County-designated Historic Site: Jhubei Wenli Hall
Jhubei Liujia was originally named “Liuzhangli”. In the 17th year of Qianlong Resign (1752), Lin Qintang and Lin Xiankun of Raoping moved to reclaim Liuzhangli from Lukang, built the Liuzhangli Zhen, created the “Shanqing Hall” and established the foundation. Liu Xiankun exerted his talents and efforts to unite the powers of clans and operate the exploitation of Liujia. Because of his enthusiasm in commonweal, his social status rose. In the rebellion of Lin Shuangwen, he called upon the villager to constitute the Yimin Army to protect the hometown and assist the Qing Army put down the rebellion, so he was conferred the award of military exploit by Qing Government.
The six sons of Lin Xiankun were all talents at that time, in which the third son Lin Guobao was appointed to the Touzhi of Renzhou, constructing the Chuchien City with Zheng Yongxi and Shoushi of Yimin Temple, being generous and righteous. In the Jiaqing Resign, Lin Xiankun and his father Heshanggong were both granted “Righteous Dafu”, adding much glory and reputation to Lin Family, so the Shanqing Hall was renamed as “Dafu Residence”.
In the 11th year of Daoguang Resign (1831), Lin Shengbao (Qiuhua), the fifth son of Lin Guogao, won the military Juren in the imperial examination at the provincial level, so the family selected the land to construct the Wenli Hall in the next year as the official business hall of Lin Family to accommodate the guests. “Wenli Hall” is one of the hall names of Lin Family. In the early day, Lin Fang, the ancestor of Lin Family ever asked for the root of rites from Confucius. Confucius applauded him, “Great question!” The offspring are very proud of the event that Lin Fang asked for the rites, so the hall is named as “Wenli Hall”.
After the Wenli Hall was completed, it is collectively called as “Two Halls of South and North” with Dafu Residence. Because of its magnificent architectural scale and important meaning in the development history of Chuchien, it was designated as the Class-3 Historic Site of Taiwan-Fuchien Area in 1985.
15. County-designated Historic Site: Jhube Lianhua Temple
In 1877, Li Shenyi, magistrate of Chuchien country, passed the current site of Lianhua Temple. He stopped and looked forward the Chuchien City, highly praising the delicately beautiful views when facing the Eighteen Peaks Mountain and Touqian Rivulet, and then instructed the squires to build the temple. The twelve squires including Lin Xixian initiated the construction of Lianhua Temple (commonly called Kwan-yin Temple) in the next year to mainly sacrifice the Kwan-yin.
Lianhua Temple is located at the foot of Litou Mountain in the northeast of Jhubei City, facing the Eighteen Peaks Mountain and owning a delicately beautiful environment. In 1895, Taiwan was ceded to Japan. The wars broke up everywhere in Hsinchu Area and this temple was ruined to a waste. Until 1904 (27th year of Mingzhi Resign), the squires including Lin Ronghe initiated the reconstruction and shaped into the current dimension. The burning incense get flourishing accordingly and the temple become the local large temple.
In 1959, Rabbi Xiuhui succeeded the abbot. The rabbi held a heart of Buddha, dedicated herself to neatening the environment, repaired the Great Palace and houses, maintained the ancientry, and thus made the temple be a shrine to worship for the believer in Jhubei and beyond. In 1962, the rabbi open up a mountain road, inaugurated the “Lianhua Elderly Home” to nurse and educate the elderly who are helpless and eager to learn the Buddhist doctrine. In 1980, she founded the kindergarten to benefit the children nearby, so that the elderly can be well served and the young can be taught. Rabbi Xiuhui silently implemented the social charity business, which deserves the compliment, and was reappointed as the director of Buddhism Association of China for several times, who is the first female director in the Buddhism Association of China.
In the recent years, the believers of Lianhua Temple propose for reconstruction. Whereas this temple witnesses the cultural development of Liujia Area and is full of historical and architectural value, it was announced as the Hsinchu County Historic Site for preservation in August, 2006.
16. County-designated Historic Site: Guansi Taihe Temple
Guansi Taihe Temple, also named as Sanjie Temple, mainly sacrificing Three-Official Great Emperor, was established by the reclamation owner Wei Agui roughly in 1812 and the original site was located in Fuxing Village. In the Tongzhi Resign, Huang Taisan and Huang Taigui initiated the construction and moved the position to the current Guansi substation area. In the early Japanese Government Period, it was occupied to be the office of Jhubei Two Forts and burned down by the Japanese.
In 1900, Luo Biyu and Chen Chunlong launched the reconstruction and completed it, moved it in front of the current site and renamed it as Taihe Temple. In 1929, Luo Biyu and Huang Deyang initiated the movement to the current site and the shaped into the current temple.
Taihe Temple consists of two halls, two corridors and two wing rooms, with a bell & drum tower above the left and right wing rooms. When constructing the Taihe Temple, the Master craftsman Xu Qing was employed, with the assistance of his senior apprentices Zuo Jianfa and Liang Jingxiang. The works ranging from the architrave and bracket set between the columns above the steps of Sanchuan Hall, Diaotong, caisson ceiling and Tongsui all possess the high artistic value. The carpenter works in the main hall exhibit the stately and magnificent air of the Temple.
The Jiannian, clay sculpture and Koji pottery are works of famous craftsman Yao Zilai and the decorations are full of artistic value; in addition, the stone carvings are made by Jiang Meishui, which are the masterpieces at that time.
This temple mainly sacrifices the Three-Official Great Emperor and enjoys together the gods such Emperor Shen Nung, Kwan-yin and Goddess of Heaven, which shows the important role played in the local mental life. “Pray to Gods and Enjoy Fortune” on annual January 15th of Chinese traditional calendar, “Release Ghosts” on July, 15th and “Give thanks for Gods’ Favor” on October 10th are the important festivals of this temple and hold the light decoration exhibition and pig & ox race, which are very lively.
17. County-Designated Historic Site: Guansi Zheng’s Ancestral Temple
Guansi Zheng Family originally lived in Raoping, Guangdong Province. In 1707, the sixth-generation ancestor Zheng Qingya came to Taiwan and lived in Yingge, Taipei; then the ninth-generation ancestor Zheng Chengliu moved to Yilan in the late years of Qinglong, engaged in silver shop and becoming the local magnate. Afterwards, afraid of being involved in the weapon fight between Fuchien people and Cantonese, the family moved to Yancaiweng, Dashui Prefecture in 1834, namely Northern Gate of Guansi Town hereabout to establish the foundation.
In 1834, Zheng Chengliu came into Guansi and built the ancestral temple to sacrifice the Zheng’s ancestors. This ancestral temple was rebuilt in 1929 and shaped into the current appearance. In 1973, Zheng’s Ancestral Temple was programmed for road land by the city plan. In order to preserve the ancestral inheritance, clansman Mr. Zheng Junli tried best efforts of several years and the temple was designated as the Class-3 historic site of Taiwan-Fuchien Area by Ministry of Home Affairs in 1991 so as to preserve the precious cultural assets.
The Zheng’s ancestral temple holds a dimension not so big, with the simple three-courtyard style, backing on the Tiangong Mountain and facing Fengshan Rivulet, positioned in a good geographic environment. In the center of the ancestral temple is the official hall to sacrifice the ancestors, with living rooms on both sides. The red bricks used in the construction of Zheng’s ancestral temple look extremely red because of oil treatment and the front courtyard is paved with cobbles, all of which substantially display the simple feature of Hakka architecture.
Generally speaking, the Zheng’s ancestral temple is plain and simple, without excessive decorations. It is the appropriate proportion and towering and raised roof that figure the solemn architectural climate and fully put up the architectural characteristics of Hakka ancestral temples.
In 1999, Zheng’s Ancestral Temple was damaged because of 9‧21 Earthquake. Hsinchu County Government then launched the repair. The project was initiated in July, 2002 and completed in September, 2005, costing a total project outlay of NT$18 million.
18. County-designated Historic Site: Hukou Sanyuan Temple
Hukou Sanyuan Temple is the religious center of Old Hukou Area and the famous Hukou Old Street is just beside the temple, which is also one of famous scenic spot in this County. The temple sacrificed the gods such as Three-Official Great Emperor, Ma Tsu, Kwan-yin, Bogong and Son-giving Goddess and was announced as County-designated historic site in 2001.
The former Sanyuan Temple was the Deities Assembly of Sanguanchang and became the pubic belief after the commercial scale came into being, so the local squire put forward the proposal of building a temple. In 1904, the temple facing west was launched with fund. Because it was said that this temple offended the Feng Shui, it was rebuilt facing north in 1918.
The festivals of Sanyuan Temple are organized in turns by the six villages of Xiangxi, Chang’an, Changling, Hunan, Hujing and Hukou, and the ceremonies of main god’s holy birthday will be held on January 15th, July 15th and October 15th of the lunar calendar. In addition, The Ma Tsu Festival in annual January of lunar calendar is the annual great event, which is very lively.
Sanyuan Temple is a typical Hakka temple, consisting of five bays, two hall and two corridors, with a golden furnace and a pavilion on the left and right in front of the temple as well as a stage in front of the temple square, which is precise and intact.
The most outstanding feature lies on the architectural structure. The supporting construction of the mail hall uses the brick-laying square column rather than stelae of the traditional temple. Saving the wooden framework of beam, this space looks simple and takes on the plain and steady air.
In addition, the clay sculptures on the roof and Shuichedu in the unconstrained manner and the colored drawings in the temple in the basic color of black all display the style of Hakka temple. In general, as far as the architectural decoration is concerned, Hukou Sanyuan Temple, except for the dainty frontal stone carvings, has no other excessive decorations on the other part. Removing the common luxuriance among the people, the Sanyuan Temple looks stately and solemn.
19. County-designated Historic Site: Tapung Old Fort
Tapung Old Fort is located at the boundary area of Hsinchu County and Taoyuan County, at a height of 1914 feet and with a broad vision.
After Japan governed Taiwan, under the “Five-year Civilization Policy” of President Sakuma Samata of Japanese Government implemented since 1907, Hsinchu Prefecture and Taoyuan Prefecture built up numbers of army and police team, set up the Guarding Line and gradually marched into the mountain area so as to go on a punitive expedition upon the northern aboriginals of Atayal nationality. In 1911, the magistrate of Hsinchu Prefecture acted as the leader of army, composed a punitive expedition team of over two thousand years, marched into Lidong Mountain and launched the fierce attack on tribe. The both parties were involved into fierce battles for several times in the Lidong Mountain and had heavy deaths and injuries. The Japanese police adhere kept the Lidong mountaintop tenaciously, construted the emplacement and defense works and fiercely fired mountainous tribe to suppress the aboriginals.
Tapung Old Fort was built in 1912, acting as the emplacement and command post at the same time. The plane of Old Fort is quadrangle, 28 feet in length and 22 feet in width, with bastion on the eastern and western side as defense. The four walls of the old fort and the bastion set 31 loopholes (eyelet), the wall is made of armoured concrete and clay in a thickness of 60 feet and the interior side has the buttress pillar to strengthen the structure. There was originally a tablet of “Shen Shou Qi Yi” written by the President Sakuma Samata hanging on the doorhead of the Tapung Old Fort, but it is a pity that it has lost.
Old fort is the military defense work, requiring firmness and durability. It daringly used the armoured concrete that was the new material and technology at that time for construction. What’s more special, responding to inconvenient transportation in the mountain area and uneasy carriage of the armoured concrete, the old fort adopted the reinforcing steel bar packed into strands by the wires as the substitute to strengthen the structure.
Currently, the original buildings in the old fort don’t exist. Only the motley and desolate four walls and loopholes are left behind, which are designated as the historic site and witness the solemn and stirring war of those days.
20. County-designated Historic Site: Dashanbei Lok Sin Hall
Lok Sin Hall was built in 1890 by Lan Zhengran, the resident of Dashanbei. He saw this land have beautiful views, so built a small simple and humble temple with his own fund, called Shixia Temple. In 1895 when the Japanese Army entered and occupied Taiwan, people including Zhong Shimei raised the army to fight against Japan and this temple was burned down by the Japanese Army at that time. Afterwards, the local raised the money to rebuild it and the project was completed in 1921 to the current appearance.
Lok Shin Hall is a Buddhist temple, mainly sacrificing Sakyamuni, Manjusri and Samantabhadra. Since it is a local temple, it also possesses the color of folk religion, with widespread believers. Quantities of ancient cultural relics preserved in the Hall represent the historical meaning and features. In August, 2006, Hsinchu County Government announced is as the Hsinchu County-designated Historic Site.
The Lok Sin Hall is simple in the whole architecture and just a temple with five bays and dragon shape. The central three bays are used for sacrifice and the left and right wing-rooms are used as office. The architectural feature of Lok Sin Hall lies on the metope laid by the slates. Because the Youluxi Valley produced the sandstone, the sandstones were used as the wall materials when constructing the temple, which is the characteristic of this temple. Partial walls were laid by clay bricks or red bricks, in addition to the central wooden framework, which display the feature of compound structure.
With a comprehensive view to the architecture of Lok Sin Hall, it represents the characteristic that the temple buildings in Neishan Area use local material, and is the local religious center. It preserves many ancient cultural relics of Hakka religion, which are closely associated with the history that Hakka nationality fought against Japan and possess profound value of cultural assets. In the recent year, the residents in Dashanbei endeavor to maintain the ecological environment and many settlements of civil houses are kept well, which deserve your careful taste of the local Hakka charm beside the visit to historic site.